Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"Remembering a Special Hymn" by Carol Isbister

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine. . .

As we sang the familiar old hymn, "Blessed Assurance ", written by blind Fanny Crosby, my heart was stirred by the sweet memory of hearing this hymn for the first time. I can vividly remember the depth of joy, excitement, and love that awakened in my spirit as I embraced Jesus and His Word and sang about His love.
The day I accepted Christ as Lord, a whole new world opened to me. The Holy Spirit taught me spiritual truths from God's Word. As I read the gospels the Lord Jesus seemed to walk off the pages in all His glory.

I fell in love with my Lord and drank in the depth of His love. Fanny Crosby must have known that same love as she penned the words "filled with His goodness, lost in His love". Yes, that's it!! I was truly lost in His love...a love so deep it could not be adequately expressed in words. From the depths of my soul I can sing with a grateful spirit, the verse which declares "angels descending, bring from above, echoes of mercy, whispers of love".

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful way of discribing the experience of being in the pressence of God! Thank you Carol because your words now have a way of bringing Him near to our hearts as we read it!! So many of the older hymns we sing still do that for me.
    May the Lord continue to use you and Justin in greater ways than we can imagine! Much love to you both!

    ReplyDelete