Saturday, October 20, 2012

Yen for Our Writing


Photo by Richard West


"Happy are those who [yearn] to do what God requires;
God will satisfy them fully!”
Matthew 5:6

No, we're not talking about selling our writing to Japanese publishers. That’s a different kind of yen. This yen means a strong desire, a yearning concerning our writing.

Do you crave the ability to write in a way that will touch hearts for Jesus? Do you long to be published so others can learn from the truths God has whispered to your heart? Is it your vision to become a full-time writer?

It’s important for us to take the time to ask ourselves what our purpose, dreams, and goals are for our writing. Why? Because our purpose will sustain us when we feel like we can’t write another word; our goals will reveal the strides we have made with our writing; our dreams will motivate us to take our writing to the next level.

Freelance writers rarely work with deadlines looming or a taskmaster breathing down our necks—which sounds great until we hit a snag in a storyline or bog down in editing and have no one to offer suggestions or cheer us on. Without goals we lose our motivation.

Holly Tucker, writer and editor, suggests setting weekly writing goals and sharing them with a fellow writer or writing group. This will help keep us accountable and also will provide welcome encouragement and support.

Do you have goals for your writing? Do you yearn to write more or write better? Do you have a yen to write a book? We would love to hear about your dreams for this gift God has given you. Won’t you leave a comment and share what is on your heart?

©2012 Pamela D. Williams

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking out my post, Denise. I so appreciate your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did have a goal to finish the book by Christmas, but at this rate...

    I just have no interest in it right now and that stinks because I am so close to finishing it. What I want to work on is stories and devotions to submit. So, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are seeking God about this, Dawn, so I am assured that whatever you do He will have directed you. It is all in His hands.

      Delete
  3. Pam, your post coincides so well with knowing your why that has been on my mind for a few days. Without they why its rather easy to veer off course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Wanda. Staying focused requires knowing and committing to our motivation.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! yes, I have a goal. I work hard, editing my book and I have a deadline ( 31 Oktober). I love history. That is the reason I rewrite an old German legend in modern Dutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Jedidja! Praying you reach you 31 October goal!

      Delete