Friday, November 18, 2011

What I learned from MG Books - #3


I just read a GREAT book! Here's what I learned...

No Castles Here by A.C.E. Bauer. 270 pages. Random House.

*Sweet story with happy ending (inner city neighborhood, bullying turns to friendship, empowering youth - saving school and community) This is an all-around feel-good story that all kids should read.

*Great book cover. I mean GREAT! It made me wonder what the story was about. I had to read it.

*Great opening 
    Great opening hook -- “Augie snuck out.”
    Great opening descriptions -- 
“Camden…armpit of the world.” 
“tall building…like a fortress with its drawbridge up.” 
“He felt his t-shirt unpeel from his back.”

*Two Stories in one, entertwined. One is Augie’s life in run-down city neighborhood. One is the fairy tale he is reading. Later, the two stories intersect in a neat way.

*The boy, Augie, grows and learns as the book progresses.

*Great role models (hard-working mom, Big Brother, teacher, bookstore owner)

*Great sense of community and belonging (chorus, neighborhood, school)

No comments:

Post a Comment