Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hair

Hair
by
Sandy James




Hair! Hair! Oh my hair!! It is the nemesis of my existence!  It’s my control issue; will I control it or will it control me.  I wouldn’t dare “let my hair down” - down flat, flat on my head, showing its thinness, its balding spots, its total lack of character.

Surely I qualify as the #1 model for hair products!  I use “Blondglam” shampoo to” retain the luster and color”, conditioner,  # 10 Guts for some body,  blow dryer to poof and shape a bit, curling iron, #8 Rewind (sticky goo) for more body and poof,  and tornado proof “Freeze and Shine” hair spray.  My hair is immoveable.

I’m in captivity to my hair!!  I want to be free! – “free to be me”, as they say!  I escaped to some degree in the 70’s with long straight hair.  In the 80’s I had a short-lived bout with freedom but for an unremembered reason I was captured again as I sprayed and sprayed my hair to “do not touch” perfection.

I want to be free!  I fantasize about letting my hair grow long and wearing it pulled back in a bun, but the fear of “not looking good” is stronger at this point than my desire for freedom.

Jesus came to set the captives free! The Bible says, “It was for freedom that Christ set me free, therefore I will not be in bondage to slavery again.”  (Galatians 5:1) Obviously, I’m allowing myself to be in bondage to my hair. Now, that’s ridiculous!   Help me, Jesus, to walk in the Truth!

2 comments:

  1. Sandy,
    Really? Tornado proof? That is hilarious. I know I heard this one before, but it makes me laugh all over again! Thanks for having it posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Sandy! You honesty laced with humor really works in this piece!

    ReplyDelete