Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Little Pencil in the Hand of God

“I am a little pencil
in the hand of a writing God
who is sending a love letter
to the world.”
Mother Teresa of Calcutta


Scripture Readings: Ephesians 4:7 and 12, 1 Corinthians 12:11-20

In a 1989 interview with Edward Desmond of TIME, Mother Teresa said, “I am like a little pencil in [God’s] hand. That is all. He does the thinking. He does the writing. The pencil has nothing to do with it. The pencil has only to be allowed to be used.”

Have you ever felt like that—like a little pencil in the hand of God? That what you were writing wasn’t coming from you but from another, wiser source?

I love it when God does that! The words pour so quickly from heart to fingers to page that the writer is as amazed as those who will one day read those words. We have no choice but to acknowledge that it is God who is guiding the ”pencil”.

According to Ephesians 4: 7 and 12, God gives each person a special gift to be used for the work of Christian service. For writers, our craft is a tool God uses to inspire, encourage, challenge, and inform.

Like the variety of spiritual gifts mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12, there are many different kinds of writing. Each writer has a much-needed voice. God has given some people the imagination to spin a fictitious yarn. Others are gifted poets. Some have the ability to research and write magazine articles, while others excel in crafting stories for children.

Do you see your writing as a gift? How has God called you to be the “little pencil” in His hand? My prayer is that you will feel the wonder and thrill of allowing Him to use you to jot down His message of saving grace for searching souls who will read your work.

Pam 
©2011 Pamela D. Williams

4 comments:

  1. Pam, Yes, I see my writing as a gift from God. Obedience is a word that is on my heart right now. I want to let go of myself to be used by Christ. I'm a work in progress and I can't wait to see what God has in store.

    The Write Soil

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful thing when we recognise God working through us. I feel deeply honoured by His many gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope that my writing is not all in vain. I know that my writing is one of my gifts from God and I pray that I use it the way He would want me to.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn: You definitely have a gift. I am so thankful that God has brought us together to share our passion for writing.

    Lynda: Yes, Lynda, it is amazing that God gifts and uses us.

    Arlee: I know that your writing is not in vain. You are definitely being used by God for His purposes.

    Blessings to ALL!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete