Monday, April 30, 2012

Proverbs from A to Z - Z


Z is for Lizards - (Photo Journal by Pam)
(OK, so lizards doesn't start with Z, but it has a "z" in it...that counts, right?)


Source: animalsw.com

Four things on earth are small,
but they are exceedingly wise:
the ants are a people not strong, yet they provide their food in the summer; 
the rock badgers are a people not mighty, yet they make their homes in the cliffs; 
the locusts have no king, yet all of them march in rank; 
the lizard you can take in your hands, yet it is in kings’ places.

On a recent trip to the Big Island we found this little guy on the sarong rack in the Island Gourmet Market in Queens MarketPlace, Waikoloa. The clerk was visibly frightened so I carried the gecko outside. He jumped to my shoulder and then climbed up into my braid.  Took a while for my husband to find him in my thick hair, but eventually we set him free.


 
 

Numerous little liZards appeared here and there on our terrace and on the stone walls at the resort where we stayed. I squealed with delight each time I spied one. Just like Proverbs 30 describes, these lizards are small but very clever. Gold Dust Day Geckos trace their genealogy to eight geckos released by a University of Hawai’i student in 1974!


Our camera is not the quality of Evan Tector’s who got this shot at The Coffee Shack, (near Captain Cooks) where the staff places little jelly packets out for the geckos, who love sweets, on the railings of their lanai overlooking the coffee fields and Kealakekua Bay.

Reflection on Proverb by Pam Williams, member of 1st Writes. Her blog is 2 Encourage

6 comments:

  1. AWESOME pictures! So bright and vivid! There were geckos (not near as colorful of course) in South Carolina where I went to college. Dowo would stalk them on the fence around our tiny apartment and even managed to catch a couple, much to my dismay. How thrilled he was to move to PA and have squirrels and rabbits to stalk. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw sooooo many this year when we went to Hawaii, but I didn't get to hold any. They were just too fast for me to catch! We got some more good pixs though. Their color is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You are bold. I would have been freaking out! Love your "Z"

    ScribblesFromJenn
    Congratulations on finishing the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These little guys have the softest feet! I could hardly feel it! Congrats to you, too, Jenn!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They really are cute little fellas, Christie. And so brightly colored. Thanks for popping in!

      Delete