Saturday, April 28, 2012

Proverbs from A to Z - Y

Y is for Your - (meditation by Dawn)


Source: leadtheteam.net




Commit your work to the Lord,
and
your plans will be established.
Proverbs16:3




I am so excited to do this Proverb because I learned this valuable lesson first hand.

Several years ago, I was leading a women's retreat for the first time. The title was "Stop and Smell the Roses". I was creating it from scratch and so, I did lot of research. I had some good stuff, but no matter how I hard I worked at it, I could not put it together. 

I just couldn't understand it. I had worked for years at a childcare center. I had put together tons of curriculum packages. It was something I was really good at. I never had a problem before making things flow.

So, I continued to try, and failed. Finally, out of complete frustration, I turned to God. "God, I can't make this work! I did all the research. I have all the stuff the women need to know. I give up! You will have to do it." At that moment, I knew, God would do it. It was not for me to do. The retreat was his work. He knew what the women needed. I didn't. Daycare stuff was my work. Spiritual stuff was God's work. God directed me to look on-line and I found something useful for the retreat. 

The next day, I prayed, "Lord, please show me what you want me to work on today." He directed me to work on the ladies' contact sheet and I prayed over each woman. The next night he directed me to another task...and so on. The retreat came together beautifully.

I've always been very independent, so this was a big lesson for me to learn. I can't always do it myself (and now I ask, why would I want to?). I know now that if I ask the Lord for help, he will give it. I don't have to do the work alone. It is so much better knowing the Lord is in charge.

How about you? Do you have a story where you committed your work to God?

Reflection on Proverb by Dawn M. Hamsher, member of 1st Writes. Her blog is: The Write Soil

No comments:

Post a Comment