Friday, April 6, 2012

Proverbs from A to Z - F


F is for Friend  - (meditation by Cheryl)

Source: Squidoo.com
  


A friend loves at all times,
and a brother is born for adversity.
Proverbs 17:17






BFF is a commonly used phrase these days.  Having a ‘best friend’ is important to many of us. When we are young, we tend to change best friends frequently.  As we mature we realize the importance of long term relationships. Often we spend a lot of effort trying to please that person just so we don’t lose a friend. There are certainly ‘levels’ of friendship too because we don’t necessarily ‘love’ all our friends to the same degree and the term friend can be used for a variety of relationships.

I know that I have often tried to please my friends more than I have tried to please Jesus. I did not want ‘adversity’.  As I grow in my relationship with Him I realize that He loves me no matter what.  I want to please Him of course just as I try to please my friends but it is not a requirement for our relationship. He loves me in spite of my sinful nature. Most of our human friends are not quite as forgiving!  I am loved by my friend Jesus just as He tells us in John 15:15. Jesus is my BFF.

A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.  NLT

Over the years I have been blessed with many wonderful friends and I hope that I have made the same impact on their lives as they have had on mine. Loyalty and love, help and compassion, prayers and encouragement have been part of these relationships. I have always appreciated my special friends but during this past difficult season in my life I have come to see that a friend is a gift from God and is His way of showing us His love. I feel God’s presence in the presence of those He has surrounded me with who will listen, share and pray for me when I feel empty and alone. My friends have brought joy to my heart and healing to my soul.
Reflection on Proverb by Cheryl Andreus, member of 1st Writes.

12 comments:

  1. I read your earlier posts too, and I love your choice of proverbs and the way you elaborate.

    Hello, stopping by from A-Z Challenge!
    English Speaking Zone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barbara. The posts are written by a variety of people from within our First Writes writing group so the voice and approach will differ from post to post.

      Delete
    2. Barbara, I'm going to pop in a response too. Doing Proverbs for this challenge forced me to read every one of them and then narrow down to what I wanted to use. It was a different way to study the Bible. I also love to see the different writing styles that each of us have and where the mind takes us. I can't wait to see "V" is for Vomit. Brianna's doing that one...should be very interesting.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Dawn! No pressure.

      Delete
  2. I can say from personal experience that Cheryl is the kind of friend everyone wants--she is a gift from God and shows His love. She will listen, share and pray for you when you feel empty and alone. She brings joy to the heart and healing to the soul. Her loyalty and love, help and compassion, prayers and encouragement make her "closer than a brother." AND, she's a terrific writer--you should read the encouragement she shares in her cards to people! Thank you, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your theme Dawn. And I especially loved the last line of what you wrote today. My friends have definitely brought joy to my heart and healing to my soul. Not sure where I'd be without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali!
      Cheryl actually wrote today's meditation. I just posted it for her, but I do totally agree with you. I need my girlfriends. :0)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely outlook on friendship! So true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole,
      I'm going to respond for Cheryl. Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Jesus is my BFF
    I LOVE that! He really is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed that friends are gift from God. Thanks for this dimension on friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Responding for Cheryl) Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Bishop. First Writes has become a closeknit "family" of writers whose friendships with one another we each consider a gift.

      Delete