Saturday, April 21, 2012

Proverbs from A to Z - R


R is for Reflects - (meditation by Pam)

Source: healthline.com





As in water face reflects face,
so the heart of man
reflects the man. Proverbs 27:19






Most of us would agree that it seems easier to see what is in the hearts of others than it is to see what is in our own, Too often we view ourselves through distorted glasses. So how can we glimpse a true reflection of our hearts? Luke 12:34 gives us some insight: “Your heart will always be where your riches are.”



How do we determine where our riches are? In a commentary posted on the Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson website, Chaplain (Maj.) Kenneth M. Bolen of the 25th Inf. Division suggests, “Typically, where you put your time and your money is where your heart is, and your heart is connected to your faith. What we believe is always connected with what we do. You can tell me what you believe, and you can tell me what's important to you, but I will measure that against what I see in your actions. The quickest and surest way for me to know what a person's priorities are is to look at their calendar and bank statement.”



Perhaps if we do the same, a reflection of our hearts will start to become visible. Where am I spending my money? How am I using my time? Examining credit card and bank statements will reveal where we are spending our money. A perusal of our calendar will document how we are using our time.



I also ask myself, “What is constantly on my mind?” Examining our thoughts will help disclose the focus of our hearts.



How about you? What is in your heart? Is your life reflecting your faith?

Reflection on Proverb by Pam Williams, member of 1st Writes. Her blog is 2 Encourage

4 comments:

  1. Pam,
    This was one of the BEST posts I've ever read on this topic!

    It also speaks to me in reference to "Faith without works is dead". Where your heart is, your actions will reflect.

    Thank you.

    P.S. I'm sorry this did not get posted yesterday. Blogger is up to its old tricks with the scheduling! I've had about 5 posts now that didn't post as scheduled and I've had to do them manually. I have to check every morning to make sure they post. I missed this one yesterday, so posted it today along with "S" -- manually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The information from Chaplain Bolen was so practical. I just had to share it. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use that as a "mirror" of my writing. What my characters are dealing with, rejoicing over, weeping from-- those are things that are important to me right then. Whether because of what I see around me or what I am dealing with right now, it really does reflect the state of my heart. The strange thing is that when I struggle to put trials in my characters' lives, it isn't usually the cliched "Mary Sue" syndrome. It's usually a smooth patch where God is refreshing me before a new growth spurt. It's totally cool ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our writing can definitely be a reflection of where our heart is. Great point, Chautona.

      Delete