Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Proverbs from A to Z - V


V is for Vomit  - (meditation by Brianna)
  
Source: wnem.com

If you have found honey, eat only enough for you, lest you have your fill of it and vomit it. Proverbs 25:16







Would you believe that no one in our writer’s group clamored to write about this verse in Proverbs? I mean who wouldn’t want to meditate over the word ‘vomit’? It’s only one of the ugliest words in the English language. Just reading or hearing the word evokes a sickening response. Yes, writing about ‘vomit’ was going to be a challenge and I bravely (foolishly?) rose to that challenge.

The message in this Proverb is clear: too much of a good thing makes you sick; avoid the sin of gluttony. I don’t think any of us need an example related to food, but what about in relation to blogging? Is it possible to be a blog glutton?

Throughout November and December of last year, I was a glutton for home decorating blogs. I probably read hundreds in my search for holiday decorating ideas. At first, it was great. I picked up some neat ideas and implemented them, but then after a while, I became unsatisfied with my home. Rather than making me enjoy my home more, the blogs were making me feel like my home was inferior. I began to covet stainless steel appliances and hate my old countertops with a fierce passion. Finally, I realized that if I went on one more ‘home tour’, envy was going to make me vomit green. I was spending too much time reading home decorating blogs -getting too much of a good thing. 

The same thing happens when I read too many running blogs. I start feeling like I’m not fast enough. Overindulging in writing blogs make me sick with insecurity.

There is only one thing that we can indulge in over and over without risk of getting sick – the Word of God. That’s why I follow blogs on faith more than any other type of blog. I can’t get sick of hearing that I’m loved despite my brokenness or of reading stories and personal testimonies of God’s presence and awesome power! Blogs about God and faith never make me feel less than anyone; instead, blogs about faith encourage me to be better and to feel more confident in the roles God has chosen for me. 

Reflection on Proverb by Brianna Renshaw, member of 1st Writes. Her blogs are: Pocketful of Playdough and Bible Bloggers.

5 comments:

  1. Brianna,
    This sure was a good one for me today. I partied a little too much for my birthday (chocolate cake and two cookies before bed), now I'm paying for it. Gluttony = heartburn.

    I agree with you. We should fill ourselves with things that will build us up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Brianna. I hadn't really thought about the idea of gluttony outside of food or drink. And I love your insights about God's Word. Pretty cool, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I wasn't sure what I'd write about when I volunteered but was very grateful when the idea came to me!

      Delete
  3. This verse also prompted another observation which I posted on Pocketful of Playdough - Proverbial Meditation (An A-Z Challenge Extra)

    ReplyDelete