Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Proverbs from A to Z - I


I is for Instruction  - (meditation by Cheryl)

Source: kellybarnhill.wordpress.com

 


Apply your heart to instruction
and your ear to words of knowledge.
Proverbs 23:12







“Instruct” was never a word I thought of in relation to my heart until I read these wise words of Solomon! Of course God wants to teach our hearts as well as our minds. He wants us to have ‘heart knowledge’ so that we can become more like Christ. We must open our ears AND our hearts to the Word. Instruction requires both discipline and then application. It is not an easy road but it is essential to our spiritual growth. As we allow God to complete His work in us we must follow the instructions given to us in Deuteronomy 31:11-12.  “You must read the Book of Instruction and learn to fear the Lord your God and carefully obey all the terms of these instructions.” We must be willing to BE instructed and then we must lovingly commit ourselves to instructing others about the Grace of God and the salvation offered to us through His son, Jesus Christ.

Reflection on Proverb by Cheryl Andreus, member of 1st Writes. 

5 comments:

  1. Cheryl,
    "We must be willing to BE instructed"...that is so true.

    I learned a valuable thing at a Bible study once. The leader said that before you even open the Bible you should pray to the Holy Spirit to open your heart and mind for understanding. It just never occurred to me to do that, but what a difference it makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a retired educator, a student who not willing to be instructed simply doesn't learn. So true in every sense spiritually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read out of my Bible every day before going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! I'm with Susan above, true humility is being teachable! And Alex, I LOVE that you read your Bible everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always pray to God for a teachable heart. It took me a while to understand praying that prayer meant I had better be willing to endure the lessons learned. Now I pray for a teachable heart AND endurance to get through life's lessons.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete