Friday, April 13, 2012

Proverbs from A to Z - L

L is for Listens - (meditation by Dawn)

Source: pittsreport.com




Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates,
waiting beside my doors.
Proverbs 8:34






Some statistics say we only listen between 25-45% of the time when having a conversation. We often exhibit bad habits; interrupting the speaker, finishing his/her sentence, not making eye contact, acting distracted.

We all want to talk, but no one wants to listen. Proverbs 8:34 really speaks to me about my own selfishness. When I talk to the Lord, I do all the talking and I do it on my own timetable, usually at bedtime as I'm falling asleep. As God responds to me...

Zzzz.......

Does this scripture mean that I am not blessed because of my bad listening habits? No, I am still blessed, but I KNOW I am missing out! If I would build my life around God, listening to him, moving when he tells me and doing his will (and if I'm listening I would know his will) then I would bask in God's full blessing for my life.

I remember a season, several years ago, when I was fully in God's presence (as much as possible here on earth), fully in his will, praising God, talking with him, and listening to him throughout the day. I felt such joy at being close to God. 

I am thankful to have had that experience (it was like a taste of heaven), but I want it back. I know what to do to get back there. Why is it so hard to push self away?


Reflection on Proverb by Dawn M. Hamsher, member of 1st Writes. Her blog is: The Write Soil

No comments:

Post a Comment